Sunday, August 10, 2014

Plant geeking

Plant haul
A photo only my plant geek friends will fully appreciate

I've been neglecting my own garden, as well as my blogging, because this has been a busy week for me: on Tuesday I attended IGC East, a new trade show for independent garden centers; yesterday I attended the summer meeting of the Southeastern Palm Society, graciously hosted by Tony and Anita Avent at Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh, North Carolina; and on the way home this morning I stopped at the JC Raulston Arboretum, also in Raleigh, to take some more photos.  But the highlight of the week was definitely Plant Delights Nursery, and better yet, getting a personal guided tour (with other SPS members) of the nursery and Juniper Level Botanical Garden by Tony Avent himself. 

IGC East
Treasure chest of begonias, IGC East
 
Tour
Tony Avent leading a tour of Plant Delights Nursery

J.C. Raulston Arboretum
Entrance to J.C. Raulston Arboretum

It was a rainy weekend in Raleigh, but back home we've had virtually no rain for the last few weeks so add watering to my list of chores.  But my garden is looking surprisingly good, especially considering the brutal winter it's recovering from.   Lobelia cardinalis is putting on a particularly spectacular show this year.  Lots more photos when I've recovered a bit... and after I've finished planting everything I brought home from Raleigh!

Lobelia cardinalis
Lobelia cardinalis

4 comments :

  1. We're familiar with those 'plants on the hotel sink' look :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to be among people who understand me!

      Delete
  2. It's funny how every hotel we stay in has a bathroom full of plants. What an exciting week for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it couldn't compare with the first time I visited PDN, in 2007! That time I had an even more interesting bathroom counter:

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/dctropics/10231973205

      Delete